When the winter hits Colorado it normally packs a mean punch according the data found on US Climate Data. What is more painful than the chill of frosty air against exposed skin is the bill to fix heavy equipment that has not been winterized appropriately. With so many simple maintenance options available to prepare for the cold, we are astonished by the amount of spring time repairs we have to make due to oversight. We know the weather is unpredictable and can cause unexpected issues. However, we also know that with the proper maintenance a lot of money can be saved.
Below is a simple checklist you can use to help your heavy equipment survive the upcoming winter before going to storage:
- Test all lights and switches
- Review windshield wipers for splits and cracks
- Charge batteries fully charged and remove any dirt or corrosion
- Top off all fluid levels
- Change the engines oil and filters
- Check belts for wear and make sure they are in good condition
- Review the heater and make sure it is operational
- Lubricate’ the exterior of the machine
- Fix minor repair items or track them for future correction
- Lubricate all doors and joints
- Equip mechanical fuel/water separators and fuel warmers to diesel engines
- Clean all mirrors and windows
- Check brakes, including the parking brake, for optimal operation
- Change the oil on 4-cycle engines
- Use or add fuel stabilizers
- Check fan belts for condition, tension, and alignment
- Make sure there are no fuel, oil, or transmission leaks
- Be sure to equip winter tires (if you plan on operating in snowy or icy weather)
This list is not all inclusive and may not apply to the type of equipment you may have. It is simply a baseline to allow you to review your equipment to save you money over the long haul. This list can seem overwhelming especially to an individual or company with a large fleet. The good news is, we are here to help. Let us take care of these items for you. It is our specialty and we have the experience and tools to get it done fast.
Put us to the test. Click the link below to schedule your free inspection. Let us winterize and maintain your equipment to keep it running longer and stronger. Don’t forget about our mobile fleet. We will come to you.
We look forward to saving you money. Schedule your Free Equipment Inspection.